bbc scotland sporty

IPlayer-VideoBreaking the News, Andrew Maxwell, Ashley Storrie, Larry Dean and Amy Matthews. Just 6,500 fans were scattered around the vast, open terraces of the national stadium for the game against Ghana, which ended goalless after captain Kevin Bain missed a penalty. The official page for BBC Sport Scotland, bringing you the latest sports news, coverage and analysis from across the country. © 2020 BBC. Sellouts at Hampden and Tynecastle. "Most of us were just coming out of school and suddenly we were the biggest thing in Scotland - we were on the back pages, the front pages, and everywhere else," says McLaren. As it happens, both followed broadly similar paths in the intervening years - injury hampered Bain's attempts to carve out a career at Dundee before moves to Rotherham, Stirling Albion, Brechin City, Peterhead and East Fife, while said Portuguese star striker suffered similar issues at Benfica before bumping around English non-league football. Nervous? Manager Brown talks of that being the night when "things clicked" for his side but captain Bain's recollection is of a much more fraught evening. There are certain things you might have done differently but I've got no regrets... not many people have led Scotland out at a World Cup final at Hampden. The latest BBC Scotland sport news plus live scores, fixtures, results, tables, video, audio, features and analysis for all major UK and international leagues. Dickov missed the first kick and, although one of the Saudis also erred from the spot to take it to sudden death, O'Neil's second failure of the day proved decisive.

Scottish school pupils have results upgraded. By that stage, interest was growing and 13,500 turned up at Fir Park to see Celtic midfielder James Beattie put the Scots ahead within two minutes, only for the Bahrainis to earn the point that would win them the group. "It was very much the latter, according to Scottish FA secretary Walker. "Eddie's parents had just moved but still had the keys to their old place," recounts Bain. An Amsterdam nightclub. I told him, 'you deserve it for missing two penalties in a World Cup final'. Arsenal prospect Dickov created Downie's seventh-minute opener, eluding his marker and crossing for the Aberdeen midfielder to angle a header high into the net, then he doubled the advantage himself, pouncing on a loose ball and, from an acute, angle chipping Saudi goalkeeper Mohamed Al-Deayea, who would go on to win 178 full caps and play at four senior World Cups. Bus drivers buying booze for kids. The East Germans, however, scudded France 3-0 in the last four before being taught a lesson by the peerless Portuguese, with the finalists claiming the two European places alongside the hosts in the World Cup.The East Germans had been based in Aberdeen for their group games and looked comfortable in their surroundings, imposing their efficient, short-passing, disciplined style on the Scots. Meaning that at least five exhausted teenagers had to summon up the courage to take a penalty in a shootout for Scotland at Hampden in a World Cup final. VideoJanice Galloway reflects on passing of time and childhood innocenceDay turns to night, and we're not out of the woods yet. VideoDay turns to night, and we're not out of the woods yetIsolated island and a childhood friend — a storm is brewing. "We went out 10 minutes before the game was due to start," says Bain. Off the Ball. "Relive how the action unfolded in Wednesday night's Scottish Premiership action with all the goals as they went in.What can clubs do to prevent further breaches of Covid-19 guidelines? "They were favourites to win the tournament but we played really, really well that night," said the goalscorer.None more so than Bain, with the Fifa report stating that "Gil Gomes, the star Portuguese striker, was marked with great awareness and authority by the Scottish captain". I held my three fingers up because I was taking the third penalty and my maw covered her face because she didnae want me to take one. Up stepped O'Neil, but Al-Deayea produced a splendid save. The teams had fought out a 2-2 draw in the European Under-16 Championships a month earlier amid a disappointing tournament for Brown's boys, who failed to make the semi-finals after losing 2-1 to the USSR and drawing 1-1 with Italy in their other two group games.

"We probably shouldn't have even survived to take it to spot-kicks. It's just grasping at straws. "Lindsay picked up a loose ball in the centre circle and headed for goal," reads Fifa's technical report. BBC Sport Scotland. And Craig Brown. Arsenal goalkeeper Will, who was player of the tournament, dropped down the leagues before joining the police; Celtic full-back Jim Beattie became a taxi driver after fighting cancer; Aberdeen midfielder Downie became a postman; and Morton attacker McGoldrick quit football at 19 to work in a tannery. Being stood up by a girl. "Eh, I can't actually remember, to be honest," says Bain sheepishly. "If we'd scored, we would have won," says Bain, who had a late header cleared off the line.

Cash Stop Near Me, Upper Air Observations, Morata Transfer To Atletico, Laser Pattern Projector, Forest Green Rovers Academy Staff, Social Power Pdf, Where Does Melissa Mccarthy Live Now, Homes For Sale In Monterey, Ca, Patagonia All Inclusive, Dahlonega Ga Downtown Directions, Weather In Spain In October And November, Brampton Manor Sixth Form Interview, Candy 2006 Cast, Editable Template For Word, Compass Auto Myanmar, Theme Of Guilt In Atonement, Bullmastiff Puppy Pictures, Thrive: The Third Metric To Redefining Success Pdf, Daniel Whitehall Actor, Atticus Mitchell 2020 Age, Osborne Care Home, Kinetic Sand Kmart, Dagenham And Redbridge Staff, Korean Dress Singapore, Wrexham Stadium Capacity, Toyota Belta Price In Kenya, Jon Fortt Wiki, Munchkin Bath Scoop Toy Organizer, Amazon Print Documents, The Shield Season 1 Episode 5, Lidar Vs Radar Vs Camera, Edirne, Turkey Things To Do, Homes For Sale Southern Pines, Nc, Havas Canada Linkedin, 2013 Chicago Blackhawks Roster, Lynbrook, Ny Demographics, Jw Marriott Executive Lounge Review, Bring It On Home To Me, Local Frankfort, Il News, Arista Winery Owners, Sonarqube Maven Multi Module Project, Corey Cott - West Side Story, Taylorsville, Nc Real Estate, Taboo Urban Definition, Mailing Envelopes Amazon, Where Is Bukayo Saka Originally From, Copthorne King's Hotel Wedding, Accident In Nottingham Today, John Heilemann Wu-tang Clan, How Did Singapore Recover From Financial Crisis 2008, I Hate When I Have To Poop After A Shower, Godwin Junior School, Touch Me, Tease Me, Kiss Me, Please Me Lyrics, Uss Season Pass Promotion, Vanish Logo Png, Sister Of The Groom 2020, Embassy Suites Louisville, Lol Pyjamas Tesco,