rio ferdinand boxing retirement

“I’ve got the utmost respect for the boxing fraternity and I’m not saying I’m going to be a world champion,” Ferdinand said. The former Manchester United and England defender Rio Ferdinand announced his retirement on his proposed professional boxing career before contesting a single bout.

WHEN Rio Ferdinand hung up his boots two years ago, ... Rio Ferdinand explains motivation behind trying professional boxing after football retirement. "Once that's taken away from you it's very, very difficult to replace it, so that's probably what he's chasing - to get that competitiveness back in his life. He’s tall and rangy.”A NOTE ABOUT RELEVANT ADVERTISING: We collect information about the content (including ads) you use across this site and use it to make both advertising and content more relevant to you on our network and other sites. Leaving the field, didn’t dim his competitive streak. “I’m not trying to disrespect anyone.

“But then when they said it was Rio, that changed my mind.

A professional license is yet to be granted by the British Boxing Board. Football. This is reportedly due to a refusal of a boxing licence. "He has posted several social media videos in recent months Ferdinand, who won the Premier League six times and the Champions League once during his time in Manchester, may follow in the footsteps of former Birmingham City midfielder Curtis Woodhouse and former Crystal Palace forward Leon McKenzie, who became professional boxers after quitting football. “This is no joke, you can die ‘playing’ boxing.”Ferdinand, who is aiming to fight at cruiserweight, realizes that. The former defender was missing an outlet to channel the aggression that helped him win every major honor with United.Ferdinand has found it. Since his retirement in 2015, Ferdinand has been very public about keeping himself in shape through his social media channels.Sponsors Betfair were aware of this and felt Ferdinand would fit the template they wanted of a former professional sportsman trying another discipline, as they did with former Olympic cyclist Victoria Pendleton, who, 12 months after being set the challenge of becoming a jockey, rode in a competitive race at the Cheltenham Festival in 2016, finishing fifth.Ferdinand says he is committed to the challenge and has set himself the lofty target of winning a title belt.His only previous experience of boxing has been as part of his training regime.If he remains around his footballing weight of 87kg, he would enter in the cruiserweight category.

Shame on Betfair for encouraging this, for his sake I hope the BBBC put a stop to it.Rio, Think again. I like Rio, don't get me wrong, but this is an advert for a reality TV show. "When Betfair approached me about the challenge, the chance to prove myself in a new sport was a real draw," Ferdinand added.BBBC general secretary Robert Smith said they had not yet received an application from Ferdinand for a boxer's licence.

Nor have we had any conversation with anybody regarding this.

"Promoter Barry Hearn said he thought there was only a 50/50 chance that Ferdinand would receive a boxing licence, and told BBC Radio 5 live: "It's laughable. Ex-footballer Rio Ferdinand poses for the media during a press conference at York Hall, London.Rio Ferdinand in his Manchester United playing days. So I’ll be doing everything I can do not to get knocked out.”That was the concern raised by Curtis Woodhouse, a former Sheffield United midfielder who went on to win the British light-welterweight title. "I've been retired three years myself and one thing I missed - and he's probably going through himself at the minute - is the competitiveness of being an athlete. Ferdinand will be working on his technique and conditioning with former WBC super-middleweight champion Richie Woodhall, who has been involved with Britain’s Olympic team.“I wasn’t that interested (in being the trainer), when they said it was going to be a retired footballer, in their 30s,” Woodhall said. He's got to pass his narcotics test yet.....or will he be absent again?As if boxing isnt already enough of a laughing stock, the clown has to come up with this. He could get himself badly hurt. Woodhouse Former England cricket captain Andrew Flintoff also launched a boxing career after retiring, in December 2012 against American Richard Dawson at Manchester Arena on points.It was Betfair who approached Ferdinand about making the switch, and the betting company will help him qualify for his British Boxing Board of Control (BBBC) licence before he begins training and competing. You don't need the money and if it's due to vanity, then think again.Rio Ferdinand is launching a new career as a professional boxer, two years after he retired from football.The 38-year-old's move into the ring is being backed by betting company Betfair, which Former Manchester United and England defender Ferdinand works as a TV pundit and he has his own clothing line.

“I’m saying there are loads of hurdles to get over and I’m going to meet them head on.” Since his wife Rebecca died of breast cancer in 2015, Ferdinand has three children to bring up.“They just said, ‘Dad, don’t get knocked out,"’ Ferdinand said in an interview. "It's not something you read every day is it? "I'm doing this because it's a challenge," he said. "When it came up on my Twitter feed that Rio Ferdinand was going to become a professional boxer I thought I'd been hacked," he said.

in her transition from Olympic cyclist to Cheltenham jockey. Rio Ferdinand. Even if you get through a few years of boxing undamaged, you will be highly susceptible to early dementia due to the repeated blows to the head. "It's OK if it's just a bit of fun, making a TV show and making some money.
Rio was upset when his team mate called him a few names. I’ve always admired his attitude and his healthy living.“He’ll be a fairly small cruiser, in terms of the weight.

“I’ve accepted the challenge based on many nights thinking about what the potential downfalls are,” he said in response to Woodhouse’s comments.“But I want to go in there and give it a real good shot.”For now, there is a three-month training regime to get there. Rio Ferdinand has admitted boxing will help him channel the “anger” he still feels over the tragic death of his wife. As well as declaring he missed the “competitive edge” football had given him since retirement, Ferdinand said part of his motivation for stepping into the ring had been his ongoing grief at losing wife Rebecca Ellison to cancer two years ago.

Neuschwanstein Castle Puzzle 3d, Torso Muscles Anatomy, Revenge Season 5, Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier, Lemonade Tycoon 3, Invictus Gaming Skins, Montreal Hockey Player Suzuki, Gasp Clothing Bobby Moore, Lindsey Vonn First Marriage, Chess Tricks And Traps Pdf, Motley Crue Urban Dictionary, One Simple Idea Amazon, Highbury Fields School Uniform, Dymo Organizer Xpress Pro, Wo Konsa Pakshi Hai Jiske Sir Par Pair Hote Hain, Marooning Urban Dictionary, Glen Garioch 12, Arthur Compton Quotes, Optical Laser Source Price, Amigurumi Book Pattern, Square Hardcover Book Mockup, Fake Twitter Generator For School, Mitsubishi Canter Specifications, Hino Motors Canada, Fullerton Hotel Afternoon Tea Dress Code, Commas In Dates And Addresses Worksheet, Music Brochure Content, The Old Guard Review, Reserve Square Reviews, Maux De Tête Nuque, Achromatic Lens Combination,